[FWDLK] 1955 Plymouth engine

Hi,
        I am currently trying to get my 1955 Plymouth 241 to run.  It has not run
in about ten years.  I have the ignition system working with new parts and
also have good compression.  As I crank the engine it will occasionally
fire usually when I first start to crank it.  I have tried adjusting
ignition timing but that has not made any difference.  When I pump the carb
by hand it is squirting gas into the engine.  I have used starting fluid
but that has not helped and have had the choke closed.  Is there something
that I am missing, like part of the carb not working, that would prevent
the engine from running. I have tried letting it sit for a few hours so I
don't think flooding is my problem.  Any help that you can give me would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks

John Digney