Re: [FWDLK] filter conversion- vs normal filter.

Re: [FWDLK] filter conversion- vs normal filter.

I attempted conversion on my 277 non hemi, a pain in the butt like most these
non stock 'improvements' are.  I change oil once a year and am able to do it
with the standard drop in filter with no leaks.  After doing it a couple
times U find out it is possible tho a bit messy.  Just part of the fun.
I get my filters at NAPA.  Be sure U follow the instructions for the sizes
and top and bottom gaskets, NAPA includes several seizes all are not used.
Block must be clean and U must have inspection light to see what U R doing.
Before stareting engine LOOK at gasket to be sure it is not outside the block
boss or receded back behind the face of metal filter housing.   Other option
is to disconnect the igniton and just crank for pressure, with assistant
watching for leaks at filter.
If I am feeling fumble fingered, I will use, after cleaning surfaces with
lacquer thinner, a SLIGHT bit of yellow 3m gasket adhesive to tack the large
o ring  in place.  Note with mine one MUST use two gaskets at the bolt head
end, the hard one outside under the head, soft one inside. ALso place
internal spring properly.
IMHO patience will do the job along with the proper filter gaskets.
Maybe if I was regularly putting on 10,000 miles a year instead of 1500 to
2000 I might be more inclined to make the conversion?
anyhoo
Rotsa Ruck
Lars

Lars