[FWDLK] 1955 Brakes Part 1

Hello everybody,

My response on this question got a little wordy, and the list would not let me sent it, so I divided it up in Part 1 and 2,
Sorry about that,  but sometimes I just get on the roll...    Joe P    Walton, Ky
Part 1

I learned to drive and took my driver's test in my dad's 1955 DeSoto, followed by my two brothers in two year intervals.  Between the three of us we put that car through HELL.  As I tell this story, remember this car was our family's only mode of transportation, and it was a used car when he bought it in 1958.  When you're a teenager you think different, you're going to live forever and never going to die.  One day my brother and I went crusing down this two lane country road doing the speed limit, about 60 mph, when we were passed by a 1957 Chev convertable with girls in it.  Well, that's something that just didn't happen back then.

Well, we know what happened then, the only possible conclusion.  They were doing at least 85 mph when we passed them and I pegged the speedometer.  I do remember when we got home my dad was standing outside and asked why the car had that funny burning smell, we said we had no idea, and life went on as normal.  Several years later, Dad purchased a one year old 1966 Ply Belv, I now had my own 1955 Dodge and brother #2 went into the Army, so my dad let our younger brother have the DeSoto, which was still running fine.  If this car ever had a brake problem we would all be dead.  After a few months little brother got a speeding ticket, which required a court appearance with dad present.  Since dad was recovering from a heart attack, and I was the eldest, dad asked me to go along.  When it was our turn in front of the judge, it was just our luck the police officer that gave the citation was there and was the first one to speak.  Your Honor, I had a very difficult time persuing this young man (Ford police car)  I'm not sure what he has under that hood, but from 15th and Eastern Avenues to Madison Avenue is five city blocks.  This young man was doing in excess of 60 mph.  Your Honor, there is a stop sign at every one of those corners, he came to a dead stop at every one of them.   continued.....