Re: [FWDLK] "...be shot." is overkill!

--- Acarpel@xxxxxxx wrote:

> To witness the sad mutilation of a '61 New Yorker
> (presumably minding its own business and not
> hurting anybody) into a stretch limo, go to
> http://www.bergenlimo.com/chrysler.html (be sure
> and have Kleenex and/or barf bags ready).
>   >>
> This post from Mike Sealy last week leaves me
> baffled.  Mike, these aren't religious artifacts
> we're working with here.

True... ...but they aren't exactly making any more of
them either...

> These are, admittedly, metal works of art, but mass
> produced for fast and stylish travel.  Take a
> look at this auto.  I think it is beautiful.

Change that "is" to "was" and I'll agree with you in a
heartbeat... ...BTW, and HUGE thanks to Robert Whitman
for the pictures, apparently this one was originally
an 8-door airport limo, probably only produced in
single digit numbers in New Yorker form. Robert sent
me pics of what we're quite sure is the same car
before its later modification, and its original form
would take your breath away. (I'll forward these pics
to anyone wanting them.)

> And I am flattered that someone with the means
> made a striking, useful service vehicle out if
> it.  Except for the B pillars, it looks great.

"Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"...
...actually the B-pillars didn't make me as crazy as
the rear door treatment, which admittedly can be
reversed... ...I'm of two different opinions on the
stretch angle, which I generally do not like as
applied to newer cars either; while I'm glad this
wasn't done to a nice original sedan, it does make me
sad that this level of modification has been done to
what is probably the only '61 NY airport limo still in
existence.

> I remember in the early sixties, when fins were
> villified, like the Russians villified Stalin.
> Ever wonder why so few FL cars are at shows?  Yes,
> they rusted, but not after '57, and not that bad.
> My theory is that people hated the dated look of
> fins and wouldn't buy them used.  I think they
> went very early to crushers.

I remember that period, and have to agree with you on
the general public perspective.

> This white limo shows the average person (wedding
> attendee in this case) what a beautiful syle and
> heritage Chryslers have.  I say keeping any of them
> alive in any for reason in any form is "Right on,
> brother!"

Wait 'til you see the pics of the car before its
modification. While admittedly this is a hard body
style to sell, and nobody should mistake a Stageway
conversion for factory (altho they were factory
approved), they didn't exactly start with a basket
case either.

Shot? Well, that was heat-of-the-moment hyperbole on
my part. I'd never shoot someone over a car (unless it
was a thief or vandal messing with mine). But no way
would I sell a car I cared about to someone with this
kind of work on his resume either. Some modifications
are IMHO right up there with d-derbies no matter how
much $ was spent on them, and my reaction to this kind
of thing will always be somewhat less than positive.

One man's opinion (but I happen to be that man). Your
mileage may vary.

=====
Mike Sealey, San Francisco CA
'57 Plymouth Sport Suburban