[FWDLK] 1956 Chrysler 300B 1/18 Diecast and other cool toys

[FWDLK] 1956 Chrysler 300B 1/18 Diecast and other cool toys

        I just found the closest thing that many of us will ever get to as
far as owning an actual 300 letter car. While browsing the local Kay-Bee
toy store, I found a very nice die cast replica of a 1956 Chrysler 300B
made by Maisto. It sports a red paintjob and has the Kelsey-Hayes wire
wheels with wide white Goodyears. I think it is 1/18 scale, but I could be
wrong; it is about 12" in length. The hood, trunk and doors all open and
the front wheels turn as you move the steering wheel. The detailing is very
nice throughout the interior and engine bay. Because I love looking at the
triangular air cleaner that crowns the 354 Hemi,  the hood usually spends
most of the time in the up position.  I don't know how this would compare
to die-casts made by either Franklin or Danbury, but at $16 and change (it
had been reduced down from $29) I consider it an absolute steal.
        Another nice diecast is Johnny Lightning's 1/64 Chrysler 300B.
Unfortunately, I found it a couple of days after  buying the Maisto, so I
don't think that I was quite as appreciative as I should have been. They
are, however, my favorite maker of 1/64 scale die-casts and have done a
great job ias far as Mopar representation goes. Their rendering of Neil
Bonnet's Charger (they also make a Marty Robbins version) is by far the
nicest of any 1/64 replica of a third generation Charger that I have seen.
        Also  on the 1/64 front is ERTL's 1957 Chrysler 300C as part of
their American Muscle Car Series.  Someone there  must have a thing for the
C-car, because it must be at least the third replica that this company has
produced. It is definitely the nicest 1/64 diecast that I have in my
collection. This is the first car of this size that renders the engine bay
in a legitimate three dimensional manner that includes such detailing as
the upper radiator hose, fan, fanbelt and generator. Also the block is
painted silver with gold valve covers and dual air cleaners; another one to
display hood up. The underside is similarly detailed, although some
elements such as the steering linkage and gas tank appear a little
overscale. I have seen this available in two colors-red and black. I went
with black because that is the color of my 61 Newport, but will get the red
one soon since WalMart has them on clearance.
        It is great to see that so many Forward Look cars are coming out
now in the toy market. In fact, I find it plesantly surprising and hope to
see some 1961s at some point soon (let me know if there are any). While it
may not be realistic to own the entire letter car series, having a Hot
Wheels Rally Case filled with Forward Look die-casts looks like a definite
possibility.

David Tsow
1961 Newport
1961 Windsor