[FWDLK] Summary - Re: [FWDLK] Type A tranny fluid

[FWDLK] Summary - Re: [FWDLK] Type A tranny fluid

Ken

Thanks for the help selecting tranny fluid.  This evening my son and I
drained the old fluid (including the torque convertor) and replaced it with
Dexron III from Pep Boys.  I think it made a positive difference in
shifting.

I suppose a cooler and filter would be easy aftermarket items to find.
Tapping into, or bypassing the existing tranny  cooler would be easy enough.

It looks like you can use real "type A" fluid, Multi-Purpose ATF, or Dexron
III/Mercon.

John Compton
---
Addition data below to help make your selection:

The real stuff is still available from Kuwaiti.  KUWAITOIL ATF, Type A,
Suffix A.  A summary of the properties are listed on their web page.
http://www.knpc.com.kw/products/al-p11.htm

Multi-Purpose ATF is recommended for use in all GM built cars with automatic
transmissions (including those which originally called for Dexron®-III,
Dexron®-IIE, Dexron®-IID, Dexron®, Type A, Suffix A)....
refer to http://www.goa-northcoastoil.com/products/products/atfuhtf.html

Another source:  http://www.sunoco.be/uk/rtransmissions.html

Other references:
http://www.forwardlook.net/mail-archive/msg00611.html

Tim Heilman wrote:

> I know that the '56 Plymouth's Powerflight Auto-Tranny is supposed to use
Type
> A fluid. Mine is desperatly low on fluid and I dont recall Pep Boys
selling
> Type A. Is there an aftermarket fluid that can be used in conjunction with
an
> additive to allow use? Does this hurt the transmission at all? Please
help!!!

Car Collector had an article about trans fluid in May.  It seems
that Type A fluid is actually its own unique type, of which I have
never seen for sale anywhere, although I believe Paul Holmgren
found somewhere in Illinois at a small garage, and they may make
us up some special.

Type F fluid will give a Type A trans harsher shifts, as it adds more
friction (actually the F is for "friction" not "Ford"). Dexron/Mercon
will give a Type A trans softer shifts, as it reduces friction.  The
article claims that neither one will hurt a Type A trans.

So, if you want smoother shifts, use Dexron/Mercon.  If you want more
of a performance feel, use Type F.  Neither is "correct", but neither
will hurt the trans.

I checked with several rebuilders, including Aamco, and none
have seen Type A for sale in the last 25 years.  The general
consensus is that any Dexron/Mercon fluid, with a thingy of
anti-foaming agent (available at any GM parts counter), is the best
substitute for Type A.

-Dave

http://www.forwardlook.net/mail-archive/msg00612.html
Type A transmission fluid was sold at Hi/Lo auto parts stores up until 3 or
4
 years ago when I did my transmission oil change.  I still had a couple of
quarts
 leftover just recently,  but I have not seen it ever since.  I use
Dexron/Mercon on my
 '55 and have not noticed a bit of difference in the shifting. I use it
because I
 can't find Type A anymore. Dexron/Mercon, I think, is  a multipurpose
transmission
 fluid and works well for older transmissions.
Jesus