Re: [FWDLK] 413

--- Jim Pristelski <ajp002@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I thought that Chrysler discontinued the 413 in
> 1966.  I would guess that the engine in the 70's
> motorhome would be a 440.

The 413 remained in production until the mid-'70s as a
truck engine, and wound up in motorhomes on the truck
chassis as well.

> But even if 413's were made into the 1970's, you
> will have problems because:
>
> 1. 1961 was the last year for the cast iron
> torqueflight tranny.  The tranny in the
> motorhome is probably a aluminum case 727
> that uses a column shift arrangement. Definitely
> not compatible with your pushbuttons in your 1961
> Chrysler which actuate a shift cable to the tranny.

727s used buttons until '64, were cable actuated in
cars through '65 and in trucks for some years after
that. If the motorhome in question has the shifter
mounted on the dash (as opposed to the column) I
believe it is still cable-actuated. That was certainly
still the case in the '68 pickup and '70 A108 I used
to have.

> 2. The 1961 and earlier 413's have a different
> flange on the crankshaft that bolts directly to
> the torque converter.  The 1962 and later 413's
> have a flange on the crankshaft that bolts to a
> flex plate, that in turn bolts to the torque
> converter.  Again, not compatible.  If you
> could find a 413 crankshaft from 1961 or earlier,
> you could switch it with the one in the 70's
> engine and then it would bolt up to the
> torqueflight tranny currently in your 1961
> Chrysler. You may be better off trying to find
> a 1961 or earlier 413 if you want to avoid a
> crankshaft swap.

If the motorhome tranny doesn't work, I'd think more
in terms of finding another cable-shifted 727, unless
the 413 was going to be torn down anyway, and even
then I think the cable 727 would be a better option.
The trick to remember with that swap is that most 727s
are not set up for a driveshaft emergency brake, and
if you want to stick with that feature you'll need the
appropriate parts from a '62 Chrysler or Imperial
(possibly a '63 Imperial as well).

Back to Dave's questions about the engine, I think the
biggest question (IIRC) with B/RB engines for HP use
is which cylinder head you have. I don't know specific
numbers like the musclecar guys do, but I know there
are a couple casting numbers that are desireable,
others that are OK and others that are not
recommended. I would guess anything after '71 would
have the less desireable (for this application,
anyway) lower compression heads.

=====
Mike Sealey, San Francisco CA
'57 Plymouth Sport Suburban