Re: [FWDLK] Clear coating chrome bumpers

Re: [FWDLK] Clear coating chrome bumpers

In a message dated 2/23/01 5:46:13 AM Pacific Standard Time,
nilla6@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Can I clear coat chrome bumpers to prevent
>  pitting and reduce maintenance on them?
>
>  -bill grubbs

Hi Bill:
I'm replying to the entire list, since my comments may be of interest to
others regarding your question.  As a teenager in the middle 50's in the
Pittsburgh area, we were constantly looking for ways to fight the rust over
the winter months.  A lot of guys would put Simoniz paste wax on the front &
rear sides of the bumpers, and just leave it until spring while sometimes
adding a little more here and there.  However, the thing that worked best
was coating the bumpers back sides only with clear lacquer.  Apparently the
moisture attacks from the rear, and as long as the chrome is OK on the front
side, this did the trick for many of us.  Check with a paint store to see if
their brand of clear coat will adhere to bare metal, or if you need a prep
first.
                                        Bill B.
                                        56 DeSoto Station Wagon