Re: [FWDLK] 57 Adventurer Cvt - Barrett-Jackson

Re: [FWDLK] 57 Adventurer Cvt - Barrett-Jackson

Hi group,

I must say I agree with Leslie. Of course, the guy selling the '57
Adventurer convertible was wrong in pretending it was a genuine one and it
is only right that he was exposed doing so. But the border between an
"original" and a "clone" is blurry at most. When some people only rescue a
chassis and a VIN tag, then proceed to thoroughly rebuild a one-of-a-kind
model and sell it for big $$$$, my applause is only half-hearted. But at the
same time, I acknowledge the fact that anybody trying to define exactly that
border will encounter as many definitions as there are restorers. What must
be the remaining percentage of the original car ? 80% ? 60% ? 50% ? Less
than that ? Does it absolutely have to include the engine ? or the interior
?

By the way, this question is not only restricted to a model : what if you
build more options into  the car that it had when sold new ?

For all that matters, I think that the alien factor in that picture is
money. If you want to build a "clone" (whatever the definition is) because
you want that model so bad and that after completion you drive it until you
can't get enough of it because you ENJOY it, I say go ahead by all means and
build whatever you want. If it is solely on the purpose of building a more
expensive model to get more dough out of it, it becomes questionable ...

Just my 2 eurocents worth (we have to start using that euro currency ... if
we want to get ready for January 2002).

Vincent Van Humbeeck (France, 120 miles north of Paris, chilly at most but
no chances of snow)
'58 Plymouth Belvedere Sport Coupe