[FWDLK] Clone Wars

I must add my slant to the clone wars.  I really enjoyed reading the various
perspectives.

There are several philosophies to restoring cars and all are appropriate for
the intended purpose.  I am a bit jealous of the cars that fully conform to
factory original configuration.  I think the Antique Auto. Club, 300
international, etc. have their place and deserve respect for the meticulous
adherence to Detroit original.  They deserve the higher dollar value
associated with their product.  All attempts to deceive by representing an
non-original car as an original should be exposed and those who perpetrate
such deceptions shunned by the industry at large.

There are other perspectives that also add value to a restored vehicle.  The
value may not necessarily be in dollars, but it may be more valuable than
money.

My 56 Dodge is already a source of pride for me, even though I only have the
chassis and mechanicals completed to date.  My car is a complete car with
original engine.  When my restoration is complete, the car will appear as
close to stock as I can make it.  I want my car to be a driver as well as
appropriate to show, so I plan on adding some modifications to the Detroit
original configuration.  I plan on using flame resistant wires instead of
the flammable cloth originals.  I plan on changing the original colors to
the colors on the 56 Dodge of my youth for purely sentimental reasons.  I
will add air conditioning because it is a driver and summers get hot here in
Utah.  I plan on carpeting the trunk instead of using the fragile vinyl mat
used in 1956.  There are other personal enhancements planned as well.  My
modified original will never be sold for money because it is more valuable
to me to own and to drive than money.  My children are already debating who
gets the car when I am pushing up daises.  I may just enjoy looking down on
that clone war!

I have a picture off of the internet of a radically customized 56 Dodge all
chopped and dolled up.  What a beautiful car it is.  I personally do not
plan on that radical of approach, but more power to those who enjoy a Rod
like that.

I think the most important rule is:  Make the car the way you want and enjoy
it to the fullest.