[FWDLK] more trouble than it's worth

I have the radiator out of my 56 Plymouth because the tab that's on the top
tank that holds the radiator shroud came off.
The car seems to run normal temps except for when I first start the car up,
and it is warming up, the temp guage goes to the end of the line on the
guage (not pinned) and then comes right back down to half way and usually
runs there. I forgot what temp thermostat I put in, but I assume it's
getting up to the temp and then the thermostat opens.

Anyway, I'm debating having the radiator boiled out when I have the guy
braze the bracket on, or should I just leave well enough alone.
Could I do damage to an old radiator that seems to work well, but having it
boiled ?

Thanks,
Nick