[FWDLK] Metal prep

Well I have not been following the rust thread, though here in Meeeeeechigan
it all rusts.
Anyhoo.  in the old days the process when doing refinishing was  first prep
sol which removed all the waxes and oils on the surfact of the  area U R
doing bodywork on, then metal prep which is a concentrated acid, mixed  with
equal parts of H20 and scrubbed using steel wool.  The water IS necessary, it
provides oxygen to the acid so it reacts properly- hence the sort of
'bubbling' when U apply it to the metal.  The metal prep removed any possible
residual rust but more important etched the surface of the metal so the
primer could bite well.   Perhaps today if U R using one of the new high tech
high potency primers the metal prep would not bee needed???
Frankly I still have a plastic squeeze bottle of metal prep on t he shelf,
its handy for that rust removal (NOT for rust in deep pits, thats another
story).
The situation was/is that the metal prep is always done  just prior to any
priming.

L.

In soon to be Scenic W. Michigan, now covered dirty straw colored grass