Re: [FWDLK] 1955 desoto fireflights

Jerry,

The name "Sportsman" was first used by DeSoto in 1940, when it denoted a
luxurious, two-tone trim and option package applied to the Custom sedan.

In 1950, the Sportsman name began it's better known role as the name given
to DeSoto hardtops - cars with steel tops but convertible-style side windows.

>From 1950 through 1951, Sportsmans were sold as Custom Sportsmans. By 1952,
there were Powermaster Sportsmans and Firedome Sportsmans. For 1955, DeSoto
dropped the Powermaster name and added Fireflite to the top of the DeSoto
line. Now buyers had their choice of the Firedome Sportsman and the
Fireflite Sportsman.

Seeking to make it's brand more affordable, DeSoto offered a Firedome
Special hardtop in 1955, and then the Firedome Seville two and four door
hardtops in 1956.

Yes, there were other model names besides Sportsman within the Fireflite
line. In 1955 there was the three-tone Fireflite Coronado. In '56 there was
the Fireflite Adventurer (although some may argue that one :). From 1957
through 1959, DeSoto buyers had their choice of Fireflite Shopper and
Fireflite Explorer stationwagons.

Fireflites with no special model names were the standard four door sedans
and convertibles.

DeSoto continued to use the Sportsman name through 1959

Dave Duricy
http://www.desotoland.com
Where DeSotos Run Free