[FWDLK] Everything's spline with me, how 'bout you?

[FWDLK] Everything's spline with me, how 'bout you?

Well, the world's slowest auto mechanic FINALLY got the transmission in.
Last week, it was *almost* in (see message below) -- but today, I backed it
out to see what was really going on.  It so happens that in a box of
transmission parts that Richard Main sent to me (thank you, Richard,
wherever you are), there was the leading drive shaft.  After removing the
transmission, I tried to insert this into the clutch plate.  It wouldn't go!
Did I have the wrong clutch plate?!

Having already dropped the lower bell housing, I backed off the pressure
plate bolts and dropped the clutch plate.  Low and behold!  It would not fit
on the lead transmission shaft.  The reason:  PAINT.  The replacement clutch
plate metal was painted a nice glossy black, and SO WERE THE SPLINES.  It
would have been a simple matter for the remanufacturer to cover the splines
before painting -- and it would have been a simple matter for me to check.
But I didn't, hence the problem.  A little emory paper to the paint, and a
little three and one oil -- I had the plate sliding on the transmission
shaft like butter.

Then, using the patented Dave Strangand long-bolt guidance system (Thanks,
Dave), it was one-two-three, what are we fighting for...  The tranny was in,
and I was home in time to cut the lawn to keep the missus happy.

Thanks to all!

        Dan
        '55 Savoy