[FWDLK] Sand blasting with bakingsoda !!!

[FWDLK] Sand blasting with bakingsoda !!!

Hello All.
Just a little info on sandblasting from my experience. I have run
industrial sand blasting equipment ( 150lb. tank ) during my employment
at a local body shop and at a local mobile home and bus plant here in
the rainy state of Kansas. and the thought of dragging around a
50ft--3in..fire hose  ( and wearing an air fed and very bulky helmet
that you cant see out of ) gives me nightmares... I found that this type
of sandblasting was not suitable for automotive use as it will warp and
pit the metal very profoundly. on older automobile parts such as model A
fenders it did very well as long as you stayed a distance away and
blasted at an angle to bounce the sand off it so it wouldn't heat up the
metal and warp it. but with the newer light weight metals it warped them
badly . now mind you I said "not suitable" but they can be used if you
take your time and watch what you are doing very closely ....good luck!

At another shop here I found that they use a smaller version blaster (
holds about 20-30 lb. ) and that they use baking soda . It is
environmentally safe and produces less dust and it also cleans the metal
to a bare finish that doesn't leave the large pitting that using sand
does making refinishing easier ( practically a surface that just needs
primed ) . it also can be done outside because its environmentally safe.
i also add that you don't have to wear the air fed helmet that fogs up
dragging  the air hose you trip over LOL  .. a paint mask , a pair of
safety glasses or face shield is all you need!
just a little info!
Mark & Don