Re: [FWDLK] "how many are left

MARK J HASH wrote:

> As someone who works for the DMV (in Oregon), I have to challenge any
> organization who claims to be able to give an exact (or even approximate)
> number of how many of a particular vehicle are "left" of our Forward Look
> vehicles.  VIN numbers on cars did not necessarily mean anything until 1981,
> when federal law mandated a 17 digit VIN, with certain VIN digits meaning
> certain things, including a model line.

> Prior to 1981, auto manufacturers, and in fact manufacturers of anything
> with wheels that operated on our highways, could devise their own VIN system
> to mean anything that manufacturer wanted it to mean.  Take for example, my
> 1957 Plymouth Fury.  I know that 7438 of these cars were produced.  I also
> know that somewhere in the neighborhood of 17 cars have been positively
> identified by The Golden Fin Society.  In Oregon, at least, DMV does not
> track vehicles by model, prior to 1981 models, AT ALL, because of the many
> variant VIN systems used by manufacturers.  How many other states are also
> this way?  I know that some states don't even issue titles for vehicles that
> are over a certain age!!

snip

> Any "estimates" of how many are left, are pure conjecture, based on
> individual interpretations.  Simply, they are, at best, educated guesses.

> Mark   mjh
> '57 Fury in OR

I know that in Indiana that IF there is no activity (if you do not get
plates and pay taxes) on a car for 5 years then the title info is archived.
If there is no activity for ten years then any and ALL info is purged.
LOST FOREVER untill that car is eventually re-registered.
(at least according to someone I know that works for the DMV here)

--
Paul Holmgren
Hoosier Corps #33, L-6