[FWDLK] trans leak

Hi,
        My 1955 Plymouth with Powerflite developed a major trans leak today.
 While I was driving the car it suddenly slowed down like the brake had
been applied even though it was not.  After a few seconds the car was fine
again.  When I returned home about a mile later a noticed a whining noise
that was not previously there.  Upon inspection under the car I found trans
fluid dripping rapidly(about a drop a second) from the torque converter
housing.  I later got under the vehicle and removed the access cover for
the torque converter drain plug and saw that the fluid was coming from
between the torque converter and trans.  I know this could be the front
seal on the trans but that does not explain the whining noise I hear when
the engine is idling.  Has anyone else experienced this problem or have any
ideas as to what might have gone wrong?  Thanks for any help in advance.

John