[FWDLK] Stuck Door Latch on '57 Belvedere Conv.

[FWDLK] Stuck Door Latch on '57 Belvedere Conv.

Well friends.  I believe that there is something bent, as one of you
suggested in an earlier post.  Now, once I get the door opened, I will
probably have to remove the mechanism and straighten the bent part/parts up.
I have made progress, since at least all of the moving parts are well
lubricated and moving somewhat better.  Taking the door panel out revealed
that whenever the previous owner had the interior redone; particle board was
used as a backer in the door panels.  This material had crumbled beyond
recognition.  Looked more like sawdust when  I finally got it out of the car!
  In any case the interior will have to be redone ( a vinyl was used which is
foam backed, with consistent rolls and stitches. It isn't too bad, and I can
live with it for a while.  It's also in great condition....no tears in the
panels or seats.)  What I will do is to find a suitable material to use as a
backer, and put the panel back in.  The vinyl covering isn't in bad shape at
all; it's just not pretty like the original was.  Any suggestions for the
backing material that will hold up??   I just am not in the position to spend
what it will take to go back original .....YET.  I know I have really moved
away from the door latch saga.....however I had to leave it alone for a while
to save my sanity.  I want to THANK Everyone for your input on this very
frustrating Problem, which it seems a lot of you have experienced.  I am not
about to give up!  I will now concentrate on removing the other door panel
and rear side panels and clean up the particle board mess which I know awaits
me. Here is a little more about the car for any of you who are  interested.
This car was sitting outside for 4 years in Georgia!  To think someone would
leave one of these .......and a convertible at that OUTSIDE.....really
surprises me.  The body is remarkably solid  however.  The floors are very
solid with minimal small holes here and there (por 15).  The rear lower
quarters have been worked on in the past and will require more work.  They're
not half bad either though.  This car has the power window option, power
steering, tinted glass, it had a v/8 but someone put a HP 383 with a
Torqueflight 727.  I have put marvel mystery oil in each cylinder and will
wait a while before trying to crank her up. All of the glass is excellent,
including the windshield......not even a peck!   The original color of this
car was Gold.  If any of you have paint chips, I would love to know the name
of this color.   It has long ago been repainted in Turquoise.  Do any of you
know just how many of these Belvedere Convertibles were produced in '57??
I'd love to know.  Thanks Again Everyone....and I will keep you updated as to
my progress.  I'm very excited about this car!!    George.  '57 Belvedere
Conv. '57 Imperial Southampton, (2) '58 Belvedere 2 door hardtops......