Re: [FWDLK] When Letter Cars Ruled The Earth

Re: [FWDLK] When Letter Cars Ruled The Earth

Hey Mike,
                    Believe me, you do have a good influence, whether you
know it or not. My father took me to my first car show when I was about 10.
It was a local show consisting of street rods, customs, and pure originals.
I never seen old cars before but, it was love at first sight. I especially
fell in love with the 50's cars. I liked the excess of chrome, the big
windows, the V8's, and the fins (GOD I LOVE THOSE FINS!). I looked at all
the cars, I seen a '58 Dodge it was pretty neat to me. Never seen one before
and didn't know what the Mopar thing meant on the air cleaner but, it was
cool. The owner on the other hand wasn't. He snapped at me for standing too
close to his car (3 feet away with my hands behind my back just like dad
said to do!), what a pr#!%. I started to get very upset and walked outside.
Then, that's where I seen a '58 Imperial conv. Man, I thought, what's an
Imperial? The owner seen me looking at it. He was a pretty big guy, more
like a giant to a ten year old. He came over with a smile on his face and
showed me all the ins and outs of the car. He also let me stick my head
inside to peek at the dashboard. (Well, that saved my faith in Mopars).  But
back to my point.......................
As the years went by, I kept going to the car shows and knew that someday I
would have an old car of my own. My parents were getting divorced when I was
about 14 (1994). My father was moving out and with the divorce, he had to
get rid of some assets so mom wouldn't get them. He asked me one day, "if I
were to buy you a car, what would you want? A new car (used), or an old car
that you could fix up?" In less than split-second I replied, "An old car!".
He then told me he had to get rid of some $ and that I should start looking
for a car. He knew that I was interested in 50's cars and he knew that's all
I would settle for. Well, I looked at '57 Chevy's and found they were too
expensive. Then I ran across a '56 Buick Special, too much for what it was.
Then one day, a friend of my fathers who's a hard core Mopar man gave my
father an ad he saw in the paper............'59 Plymouth Fury 4dr sedan
red/white $2300. The only "Fury" I ever seen was the '58 Belv. in the movie
Christine. I decided that I wanted that car. We drove down to see it and it
was love at first sight.  I75 had spotted the car even before we turned the
corner and jumped out of the truck before my dad even hit the brakes and put
it in park. We looked it over, the owner told me to start her up. She fired
to life with a mellow tone and he said, "her names Christine" (my father
must have told the guy to say that to me). It turned out he bought it for
his son and he wanted a Christine so, his father got the car painted
red/white and installed a red/white aftermarket interior. The car didn't
look bad except for the pop rivets (!) in the trim (which I had to replace
75% of ) and the holes in the dash for the sons aftermarket radio (which I
also fixed). My father bought it for me, we parked it in the yard and then,
my father had to move out. Here's where I finally get to the
point......Since my father worked all week, I only seen him on weekends. I
spent every weekend I could with him, even if friends wanted me to hang out
or something. It wasn't easy on the social life but, it made him happy and I
was glad to do it. During the week, that car kind of taught me the lessons
my father could have if he (could have been) was there. It kept me out of
trouble on several occasions where my friends went out and vandalized
something, experimented with drugs/alcohol, etc.,etc.. While they were out
doing damage, I was tinkering with my car ( I didn't know much but I was
learning). It also taught me the value of a dollar when I started buying
parts for it with money I saved mowing lawns and fixing up VCR's, CD players
and antique radios. It also taught me how to make repairs on a car, for
which now my father is grateful (I fix his '85 Blazer whenever it needs
something). It also taught me respect for the car. I've seen so many parents
get their kids a old hot rod or a new fast jelly bean car for their kids,
only to see them wreck it shortly, due to what I think is lack of respect
for the car. Since I'm building mine with my own blood, sweat and tears (and
a pile of $ which I earned), I have a deep appreciation for what I have.
Later on after I started having the engine rebuilt and sent it to a body
shop (where it's been for 5 years, due to a slow bodyman) my mother
remarried and I moved in with my father. I'm still living with him. Well, I
guess that's about it. Long story short, when my father took me to that car
show the first time, it started a really good influence. When I got the '59
that made it even better. So my advise to you is keep your daughter
interested, maybe get her a car to fix up (hopefully a FL or other type of
Mopar) when she gets close to driving age, and take her to shows. You'll
never regret it. Hope this helps.
Take Care,
Frank