Re: [FWDLK] Oil Filter Interchange?

As far as I know Chrysler Corp used the PH8A size oil filter on all its
motors, 6 and V-8, throughout the 60s and into the 70s, switching at some
point to the shorter PH43, to save a couple of cents I suppose.  Still
later, the company used some even shorter/smaller filters that fit the same
flange, but I found out nearly 20 years ago that the PH8A would even replace
the midget filter on my 2.2 four cylinder.  It's what I now use on my 94 Ram
truck.

I usually change my own oil, but occasionally save time by letting Super
Lube or the like do it.  One time, the changer saw the filter on my small
block and exclaimed, "He's got a Mustang oil filter on this Barracuda!"  (5
liter Mustangs also use the PH8A).  It took me a few moments to convince him
and the manager that I wasn't running the wrong filter.  Another time/plce I
took a 1966 Barracuda Slant 6.  Their listing showed the correct replacement
filter being a PH43 and they refused to use a PH8A unless I signed a waiver
of liability.

The point of all this is that the parts book listings will sometimes
reference to a later smaller size filter that will fit but would not have
been used by the company before sometime in the 70s.  I use the bigger PH8A
size on everything I own except for my 56 Plymouth which uses a canister
type oil filter.

Curtis
56 Belvedere club sedan
59 Coronet 2 dr hardtop