From: Wayne Graefen
Subject: RE: Two-tone factory painting process?

Dave my only insight would be that all '57-59 DeSotos seem to have the
problem of front fender paint being too thin from the factory and often
mismatched possibly because of a difference in primers.  I don't know what
was different about their assembly line than that of Chrysler or Dodge, but
something was.  There is a far lower percentage of DeSotos of this time with
original paint left on the cars because the owners had to do something to
cover the problem.  It was worse, of course, with metallics because the sun
broke them down more quickly.  I had a '57 Adventurer Conv. that was 95%
original paint. Also several parts cars.  ALL had this problem.

Wayne