Re: [FWDLK] 57 Plymouth deal?

--- 57plymouth <57plymouth@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have a line on a 57 Plymouth Savoy four door for
> sale.  He says it is a v-8 and has a pushbutton
> tranny, but isn't sure if it is a 301 or a 318 or if
> it is a powerflite or a torqueflite.

(snip)

> Here's the clincher, he is asking $850.  Doesn't
> seem right does it?  I'm going to look at it
> Saturday.

That part sounds great!

> Any advice on finding displacement on the motor?  I
> know the difference between a powerflite and a
> torqueflite, but I haven't messed with fifties
> v-8's, so I don't know how to find displacement
> easily.

I could be mistaken but I think the 301 was a
Belvedere and Sport Suburban exclusive while
Savoys/Custom Suburbans and Plazas/Suburbans still
used the 277. (The 318 was AFAIK a Fury exclusive in
'57.) I might remember that wrong and the 277 might be
a Plaza exclusive while Savoys got 301s. Someone here
remembers this part for sure!

My car has what I think is the original engine, which
is assumed to be a 301. It's a couple of miles away at
the moment so it's kind of a pain to get to as I type,
but it seems to me the engine number on mine is "P31"
(which indicates a '57 Plymouth V8) followed by either
the VIN or part of it. I know there was more than just
the "P31" reference that convinced me my car has its
original block, but can't remember now what that is.

=====
Mike Sealey, San Francisco CA
'57 Plymouth Sport Suburban
'64 Chrysler 300-K 2dr Hardtop