Re: [FWDLK] 57 Plymouth deal?

The 1957 Plymouth Plaza sedans came with the 277 V8, with the 301 V8 as
optional.  The Plaza Suburbans, all Saoys and Belvederes came with the 301
V8, while the Fury had the 318 V8.

As for engine numbers, the first V8 built was number P31-1001, and the
numbers worked up from there.  There is no relation to the VIN on those
models.  There was also no way to tell which assembly plant used what
engine.  The engine plant simply numbered the first engine P31-1001 and the
last one off the line was P31-492995.  The Plymouth six ran from P30-1001 to
P30-177184,

The Fury engine, though, can be identified as it used the prefix "FP31".

Chrysler began using the engine size in some of the engine numbers in 1958,
using L230-100001 for the sixes starting mid-1958 (March, I think).   It was
not until 1959 that Chrysler began identifying engines in the engine number
across the board,  And that ended the ability to determine in what make of
car the engine was installed.

Bill
Vancouver, BC