Re: [FWDLK] torqueflite overhaul kit

 Scott H wrote:

> Yes it is high and I would look for alternatives BUT
> I was quoted $1800 for my Caravan trans

For a FWD car a price like this is not unusual. My '87
New Yorker is a little loosey-goosey in the torque
converter and I'm really dreading this bill when I
finally have to do it.

As for Powerflites and castiron Torqueflites, these
are probably pricier than 727/904/998s because the
newer ones are still common enough that a lot of the
high volume shops just pull another rebuilt off the
shelf and throw it in there, which saves them a whole
lotta $ and helps them keep prices on these down. The
older units are no longer shelf items and the kits are
harder to find... ...and of course some shops charge a
premium for that if they feel they can get away with
it... A premium also applies to 4wd vehicles like the
Bronco mentioned earlier, since there's more labor
involved.

I used to have a very good tranny guy (retired now,
and can't find him) who only charged $100 more for
rebuilding a torque tube Rambler tranny than he
charged for a 727. Knowing the extra labor involved I
thought this was an excellent deal.

Also, on the subject of 500/518s, these are pricier
because of the overdrive, just like similar trannies
from competing brands.

> (fixed it by changing the fluid from Dextron back to
> Chrysler 7176 ...you cant always believe the owners
> manual!)

Heard that story more than once... ...how Chrysler
avoided a class action suit over those faulty
instructions is beyond me...

=====
Mike Sealey, San Francisco CA
'57 Plymouth Sport Suburban