Re: [FWDLK] Re-Building a 230 Cu. In. Flathead

Re: [FWDLK] Re-Building a 230 Cu. In. Flathead

Bob,

> He has been quoted $1500 - 2000 to rebuild the engine.  That
> sounds like a reasonable range to me.  Any thoughts?  I seem
> to recall that Dan Morton has his flathead 6 rebuilt.

Indeed I did.  The rebuild was $1K at a NAPA shop in Stratford, NJ.  In my
case, it wasn't until disassembly that the guy realized the block was too
far gone -- needed multiple cylinder sleeves -- and he recommended I pick up
another short block, which I did at a local yard for another 100 bucks.

Things to watch out for:

If your block doesn't have hardened valve seats, make sure your motor man
puts them in.  Fortunately, the block I bought had them.  It will add to the
price, but today's no-lead higher-octane fuels will burn up non-hardened
seats.

Make sure the guy pulls the water distribution tube during the rebuild, and
have one on hand when you reassemble the block.  (I bought one from my good
friend Jack Johnson, you might check to see if he has another.)  If the
rebuild includes the water pump, make sure your motor man replaces it.

Make sure the harmonic damper isn't grooved from excessive wear.  It wasn't
until after the rebuild that my motor man warned me I might have a problem
here -- and I do.  When the oil thins as it warms, I tend to lose oil from
the timing chain cover because of this wear.  There's hope here, though, if
I can't find a NOS replacement; search the archive for my earlier post about
it, you can get the balancer resleeved with a micro-thin stainless sleeve.

Long live flatheads!  Good luck in your endeavor.

        Dan
        '55 Savannah

Calendars are still available.  Don't miss the chance to get yours now!
Details for ordering may be found at:
http://www.forwardlook.net/calendar2002/index.html