Re: [FWDLK] Re-Building a 230 Cu. In. Flathead

Re: [FWDLK] Re-Building a 230 Cu. In. Flathead

I've checked with several petroleum engineers about this question in the past and
here is what they all told me.  If you have an engine that has been running for
years and has 40K or more miles, then there is enough lead in there to last almost
forever and not to worry about the seats.  If however you are planning to race the
car,  tow a trailer or regularly be driving in mountainous terrain, thus placing
additional loads on the engine, then they all recommended installing hardened
valve seats.

As to a newly rebuilt engine, however I would opt for the hardened seats since
there would be no lead build up available.

Brian
D500s in warming MI

David Charles Gedraitis wrote:

> > Things to watch out for:
> >
> > If your block doesn't have hardened valve seats, make sure your motor man
> > puts them in.  Fortunately, the block I bought had them.  It will add to the
> > price, but today's no-lead higher-octane fuels will burn up non-hardened
> > seats.
>
> *snip*
>
> Actually, they thought this would be a problem, but its not. I would
> personally replace them for the sake of having a nice, tight engine, but
> the valve seats won't be hurt. I've spoken to a few mechanics on this, and
> they haven't seen any problems in relation to this (out of curiosity, has
> anyone?). Anyway, good luck
>
> ~dave
>
> '61 Newport
> '67 Kaiser M-715
> '91 Toyota pickup

> Calendars are still available.  Don't miss the chance to get yours now!
> Details for ordering may be found at:
> http://www.forwardlook.net/calendar2002/index.html