Re: [FWDLK] 60 Dart Pioneer wheels

--- Floyd D Harper <fdharper@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Nearly all the period advertisement I've seen have
> the ('60) Dart with the spinner caps but all the
> spinner caps I've ever come across are 15 inch.

Dodge had a number of spinner hubcaps during the FWDLK
era. '55-'56 were 15" and I believe the rest were 14".
Knowing that some MoPar stuff such as 300s went back
to 15" in late '59 I guess it's posssible they made a
15" spinner in the '60 style but I'm not aware of it.
BTW the '60 generally used a wheelcover specific to
that year (known exceptions follow).

> In an effort at accuracy I'm trying to get the
> straight scoop as my car came with 15's when I
> bought it last year. Were 15 inch wheels an
> upgrade option for the Darts?

Not aware of it outside of police/taxi and some export
models although it is possible. Police/taxi models
with 15" generally used dogdishes from the '56 model
year, although some had the smoother Plymouth
dogdishes without the Mayflower imprint. Export stuff
with 15" generally used either the '56 dogdish or the
'56 full wheelcover. I believe all non-300/Imperial
'60 factory installation of 15" used the old style
wheel with clips in the center for the hubcap rather
than bumps for the hubcap to fit over as seen on the
14" wheel.

=====
Mike Sealey, San Francisco CA
'57 Plymouth Sport Suburban