Re: [FWDLK] '55 Coronet in Canada on eBay, #1831565464

Re: [FWDLK] '55 Coronet in Canada on eBay, #1831565464

Yes, the car is American as the only American-style Dodge sold in Canada
from 1955 to 1959 was the Custom Royal.  It is in not too bad shape, really,
and if was on the west coast instead of the east coast my 1983 Imperial
would be parked on the street!

The front end clip was shared with the Canadian Dodge Crusader, Regent and
Mayfair and the U.S. Dodge Royal.  The Custom Royal was similar but had
different grille bars with six "spuds".  That was what Chrysler called those
"teeth" on the 1955-1958 Dodge Custom Royal front ends.

Parts for the 230-cid flathead six are still not that difficult to acquire
as Chrysler built the engine for industrial and agricultural use well into
the 1970's.   The engine may not be a powerhouse, but the flathead six was
noted for its reliability and longevity.   You may not be able to burn
rubber but you could cruise comfortably with decent gas mileage (given the
size of the car) and have a magnificent view of the road with that
chair-height front seat.

The Powerflite did  not have a park position and the gear selector, from the
top, should be R-N-D-L.  My father owned a 1955 Dodge Regent (think Plymouth
Savoy) with the 250.6-cid six and Powerflite and remember that dash lever
quite well.   Always though it was rather neat and better than the column
lever on the neighours' Meteor and Monarch cars.

Bill
Vancouver, BC