Re: [FWDLK] Hemi Commando?

--- Rog & Jan van Hoy <vanhilla@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm certainly dubious that some factory line worker
> could say to himself, here comes my buddy's car,
> I think I'll change the motor mounts and the brakes
> and the suspension and shove this here big engine
> into it.  And some wiring harnesses and power
> windows and A/C while I'm at it. Seems like even
> years ago there was a little more tracking of
> component parts.

There was a story presented as fact in the Plymouth
Bulletin some years back about a '57 Savoy or Plaza
ordered new by the son of a well-liked employee at the
plant it was built at. The way this story went IIRC
was that the kid's car was ordered with a Fury engine,
but the plant had no Fury engines in assembly stock at
the time, so they took this highly polished display
engine off its stand in the lobby and dropped that in.
I remember reading that story and thinking, "If that
story's true, it's a good thing the display engine had
internal components..."

Vincent Curcio's excellent biography of Walter
Chrysler relates a story of John Willys coming to look
at a carved wooden mockup of the proposed Chrysler
(apparently even the radiator and engine block were
carved wood) and asking if they'd had it out on the
road yet...

=====
Mike Sealey, San Francisco CA
'57 Plymouth Sport Suburban