Re: [FWDLK] Old A/C

--- JASON ROGERS <ljrogers@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Are there any vintage-A/C experts out there (not
> Vintage Air aftermarket, but "vintage" as in '1954
> through the Forward Look years)?  I was surprised to
> learn that in '54, the first year for Chrysler's
> factory A/C system (as was available for the
> Imperial) the refrigerant was R-22 - household
> A/C refrigerant!

I'm nowhere near being an expert, not even very
knowledgeable about A/C, but in a twisted way I can
see how this would've happened. Logically enough,
Chrysler gave this project to their Airtemp division,
which built A/C systems for homes and office
buildings. (Legend has it that Airtemp Division was
created in part to give Walter Jr. something
non-automotive to do, and partly because WPC Sr. was
less than happy with the system the Chrysler Building
was built with.) It makes sense that the Airtemp staff
would be familiar with R22, and that they would
continue using it. I think the '57 and later
compressors and other components came from an outside
supplier, and it makes sense that the specs would
change at that time.

I'd be interested to hear if Frigidaire and Kelvinator
played similar roles in the development of the GM and
Nash/AMC A/C systems.