Re: [FWDLK] Old A/C

I'm nowhere near being an expert, not even very
knowledgeable about A/C, but in a twisted way I can
see how this would've happened. Logically enough,
Chrysler gave this project to their Airtemp division,
which built A/C systems for homes and office
buildings. (Legend has it that Airtemp Division was
created in part to give Walter Jr. something
non-automotive to do, and partly because WPC Sr. was
less than happy with the system the Chrysler Building
was built with.) It makes sense that the Airtemp staff
would be familiar with R22, and that they would
continue using it. I think the '57 and later
compressors and other components came from an outside
supplier, and it makes sense that the specs would
change at that time.

I'd be interested to hear if Frigidaire and Kelvinator
played similar roles in the development of the GM and
Nash/AMC A/C systems.

Of historical interest.

   The first MoPar A/C was installed in at least one (unconfirmed lead)
1941 Chrysler Imperial Limousine. I have in my literature collection a
factory manual for this A/C system. It shows the layout of the all the
components in what is clearly a 41 Chryler 4Dr Sedan. And on the back
cover of the top of the line 1942 De Soto Sales Catalog this AC system
is shown as a soon to be available factory installed option on the 42s.
Back in the late 80s or early 90s MoPar AC was the main article in one
issue of the WPC News magazine.
    Checking my master parts book for 54 and earlier it contains a new
section, 24, for AC. It lists parts for D44 1953 Dodge Coronet, the S16
1953 De Soto Firedome, the C56 1953 New Yorker, the 1953 C58 Custom
Imperial. So it looks like the AC was introduced late in the 53 model
year and available on V8s only.
I've seen two factory setups, one in 199 on a 54 Chrysler in a salvage
yard in NM (since crushed) the other on a 54 De Soto Coronado. My 54
Coronado which came out of San Antonio, TX has an aftermarket unit
installed. Like the factory AirTemp it is located behind the rear seat
with both the intake and out flow mounted in the rear package shelf. The
unit was built in Forth Worth and, I was told, is still in business. I
haven't had a chance to see if it works.

Ed

http://www.forwardlook.net/search.htm