Re: [FWDLK] How to get to instrument/dash wiring - 58 DeSoto

--- Bill Watson <wwatson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Have you undone the speedometer cable?  It has very
> little extra length in it so that could be holding
> it back.

I went through this with my '59 DeSoto, which does not
have the same cluster but the upper dash is so similar
that this operation is probably close to the same.
IIRC there was just barely enough finger room to
unthread and remove the speedo cable, after which the
cluster would come out further and the wiring & bulb
harness could be disconnected.

However, mine was a '59 and we're talking about a '58,
and there's one fairly major difference between the
two clusters:

> I do not believe the 1958 DeSoto had an oil gauge,
> just an idiot light.  If it had a gauge, there
> might be a small metal tube running to the gauge
> which would have to be undone.

The '59 DeSoto has idiot lights for amps and oil, but
the '57-'58 has full gauges, with whatever additional
hassle the tube is. A friend had a '57 NY that I
believe had a plastic tube to the oil pressure gauge.
Watch out for that possibility as that sucker is
fragile.

=====
Mike Sealey, San Francisco CA
'57 Plymouth Sport Suburban