Re: [FWDLK] power steering problems

Greg ( & List) ,  I used the wife's (former) kitchen-baster
to empty the P/S resevoir, & then re-filled it with  "Sta-Lube Power
Steering Fluid, for Pre-1989
Chrysler Products".

Dave Homstad suggested that it might take as many as 4 such emptyings in
order to change-over all of the fluid, with maybe 1/2 of it residing
within "the system" , @ any one time.

Of course, the system might be 'power-flushed', by disconnecting the
return line, to the resevoir, after emptying the resevoir & raising &
supporting the ft end via the cross-member, & turning the front
wheels--the "basting' system, while more costly (3-4 containers of
fluid) but maybe mo-safer, to the 'car'.

I have just driven the car around our small town, today, & the fluid
went from "clear", to
"transmission-fluid-cloudy", probably from 'contamination', from the
"other-fluid" in the system.

However, the steering seems to be perfectly-quiet, & normal.

I plan to drive the car 'vigorously' tomorrow/Saturday, & then will
"baste" the resevoir again w/the Sta-lube-stuff (if only to buy/support
a 'dedicated-Chryco' product).

Moral of story (hopefully): change your foaming-fluids frequently

Steerin ya straight,

Neil Vedder
57 D500

http://www.forwardlook.net/search.htm