[FWDLK] Outside Rearview mirror question

[FWDLK] Outside Rearview mirror question

This is regarding the outside, fender mounted rearview mirrors on my 59 Dodge. I think it is the same for all 59 mopars.

I want to remove the mirror part from the base. I remove the screw/nut on the back of the unit and am waiting for the mirror to pop off. But no matter how much I fiddle around with it, it does not come off. It is certainly looser with the nut removed, but what needs to be done to actually remove the mirror part? I am not too anxious to start with more aggressive tapping/pulling until I know I am on the right track.

James