Re: [FWDLK] rear end

You can change the pinion seal with the third member in the car. First,
undo the rear u-joint and you will see a nut in the center of the yoke,
remove the nut and tap the yoke forward off the shaft. Then you can pry the
seal out with a slender pry bar.After cleaning things up, tap the new seal
in place (with a dab of sealer on the mounting surface).If the seal surface
on the yoke is grooved, you can get a "speedy sleeve" at the local parts
house, to restore it . Be careful if you use an air-powered impact wrench
to tighten the pinion nut, these rear axels use a crush sleeve to set the
bearing preload, if you get carried away and overtighten the nut it may
make the pinion bearing preload too tight. 150 foot-pounds torque is
probably enough, a drop of loctite on the threads wouldn't hurt either.

Mike