Re: [FWDLK] weatherstripping needs..the answer

Re: [FWDLK] weatherstripping needs..the answer

Guys,

The only source I know of for vent window rubber is Steele Rubber. There are
probably others I am not aware of. I just received their new catalogue and
it lists only one application for our ForwardLooks. For 55/56 Dodge and
Plymouths, sedans only, not hardtops, they list the front vent window
rubber. There are listings for several earlier Mopars in the 30s and 40s for
both front and rear vents.

What I like to do with old weatherstrips and rubber parts is to clean them
with lacquer thinner. Use a damp rag and try a test spot first. This removes
any oil, dirt, and hard dead oxidized rubber from the surface. You may also
have to use very fine steel wool for stubborn cases. Then I like to apply
one coat of a rubber protectant, but I do not use repeated applications.
This seems to help. I have never tried boiling water, but heat should soften
old rubber, at least temporarily for installation. There are also water
based rubber lubricants that are used to ease installation and evaporate
afterwards.

Dave