Re: [FWDLK] FWDLK in miniature--coming soon!

Re: [FWDLK] FWDLK in miniature--coming soon!

Stock cars ran up Pike's Peak in 1956 for the first time since 1934.  Jerry
Unser won the stock class in a 56 Chevy.  Third place stocker was Herb
Bryers in a 56 Plymouth Fury.  A Fury also took 9th place.

The road to the top of Pike's Peak is dirt, so light weight was a definite
advantage coming out of the hairpin turns.  According to the writeup in the
September 1956 issue of Hot Rod Magazine, the Chevy was the lightest and
least nose-heavy of the low priced three and Plymouth was the heaviest.  The
caption under a picture of Bryers' Plymouth says: "Fury had power but too
much weight to accelerate off tight corners."  All of the cars in the top 10
were Chevys, Fords or Plymouths (best Ford was 4th).  None of the bigger,
more expensive (and powerful) cars finished in the top 10.

Jerry Unser's brother Bobby won the Championship car class in a Jaguar
special, running two minutes quicker than the quickest stocker.

BTW Ross, you have a beautiful Imperial.

Curtis French
56 Belvedere club sedan
59 Coronet 2 door hardtop

PS I want the Airflow!