[FWDLK] Don't suppose mpg figures, get the truth

[FWDLK] Don't suppose mpg figures, get the truth

A few years ago, I would be content with 10-12 mpg, and 35cent gasoline.
I could go about 30 miles for a dollar and take 5 friends and all their
luggage, or a big tool box and floorjack and a set of mounted tires.

Where is the progress, today?  A modern car is smaller, letting me haul
myself and only three friends, one small bag apiece and nothing else. If
I am lucky and go slowly, I may get 30 miles for a dollar of gas, but
usually less.

My 1994 Cherokee Grand Laredo is a V8 and full-time 4WD.
It has a "trip" computer on it that is pretty accurate.  I haven't reset
it for a while, so my mpg figures cover a mixture of highway and local
miles. I don't drive slow.  I'm showing 17.8 mpg and I believe it is
pretty accurate.

I would rather drive a forwardlook vehicle than a new one that gets
"maybe" a little better mileage, and can not haul anything like the
older vehicles can haul. I don't feel bad driving my Cherokee, either.
It is too bad the people who don't approve of my driving it, also
don't know the decent mileage it gets with a V8.

Tom
                 southern Ohio

"Mark J. Hash" wrote:

  Although I'll never own an SUV 'cuz I'm too cheap to drive (on an everyday basis) a commuter vehicle that gets 10-12 mpg, the logic used by these people is indeed questionable. . .