From: waltlandry@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:waltlandry@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, April 07, 2003 11:12 AM
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [FWDLK] Noisy Brakes 56 DeSoto

While on the subject of brakes I have had an eternal problem with
squeeling brakes on my '56 DeSoto.  It started several years ago when
after a wheel cylinder let go over the winter I decided I should do the
brakes over. After new cylinders, brake shoes (two sets) and springs,
contouring of the shoes and turning of the drums I still have the noise.
It happens in most situations except sometimes when very carefully I
ease pressure on the brake pedal to stop the car and ease off just
before I stop.  It has power brakes so it does not take much pressure.

I am at a loss as well as my mechanic who has an old repair shop.  His
oldest mechanic, who just retired who had worked on many old cars, had a
few tricks but none worked for long.  He even looked through his old
tools and used a tool that helps to adjust the shoes evenly before
installing the drums.

Anyone have any ideas.  I am ready to drive but cringe at the
anticipated noise. It does warn everyone that I am in the area and they
should get out of my way.

Thanks
Walter Landry
1956 DeSoto Firedome Seville

2003 Calendar voting results and ordering information is online!  Please
visit: http://www.forwardlook.net/calendar2003 for more information.