Re: [FWDLK] rough brakes on '57 (facts)

have you  replaced wheel cylinders, had the drums turned,
installed new shoes (on car)?

Yes, all brake parts (shoes, wheel and master cylinders, lines, hoses)
are (were) new. Now they have 4000 miles.

It sounds like the shoes have been compromised due to stagnation.

When i start the car and comes outside its garage, the braking is very
very rough !! The front end dives ! After 3 or 4 braking the situation
is better but ther's always this hard braking at very slow speed.

Check for contaminated brake shoes as well. Brake fluid or oil can
cause some grabbing.

Last year i had some problem with axle shaft seals and one of the rear shoes (left) was contaminated. I cleaned it in a brake cleaning fluid but i'm not sure that the oil was completly removed.

I've also another problem with one (i think) of the front drum: one was
turned because it was badly out of round but now i "feel" just before
the car stops that ther's another out-of-round drum. The car pulls also
to right side when i brake it.
I've a friend who has a roller braking test bench and i think it'll be
easy to determine which drum or wheel is wrong

--

Philippe COURANT (Pau, France)- Webmaster des sites ACCF et C-I-F
Imperial 1957 Crown convertible

- American Car Club de France (ACCF) : http://www.accf.com

- Chrysler Imperial France (C-I-F) : http://www.ifrance.com/c-i-f

- Cadillac " Standard of Excellence " : http://www.ifrance.com/accf-cad