Re: [FWDLK] I need your help on 55-62 cars

Re: [FWDLK] I need your help on 55-62 cars

    Because there were no truly different chassis types other than
some wheelbase variations all of full size cars, the body type
designations of B, C, E, etc. were not used prior to 1960.  Each
year had only a letter designation for all MoPar cars built in that
year.   Thus, for example, the 1957 model year for Imperial,
Chrysler, DeSoto, Dodge and Plymouth were all "K" models (not to be
confused with "K-cars" of later years!).
    Now '57 is my year of specialty but from assorted paperwork, I
have, I do know for certain that 1958 were all "L" models and I
think I have support paperwork indicating 1956 were in fact "J"
models.  The progression here is obvious.
    I do not know if the '55 model year was called "I" because of
its confusion with the letter 1 (one).  I am relatively certain that
the '59 model year were all "M" models.
    So how or when was this model designation used?  I think if you
were a parts counter man in this era, you may have been aware of
factory parts sheets that occassionally would reference the model
year, such a a page I have for "K Series Exhaust Parts for Sports
Cars" which charts pipes and mufflers for Furys, D-500s, Adventurers
and 300s.  Or if you worked in corporate offices or someplace like
the carburetion lab, you would see plans for the L series year or
similar.  It was not a popular designation that a salesman or
mechanic would even be aware of.
    I'm sure I could be enlightened further on this subject myself.

Wayne Graefen
1957 300C Model Year Consultant to the Chrysler 300 Club Intl