Re: [FWDLK] I need your help on 55-62 cars

Re: [FWDLK] I need your help on 55-62 cars

Those letters for years (K - 1957, L - 1958, etc.) were used by the
engineering department first, I believe,

I do not know which year "A" was before 1957 (it was used again in 1965),
but here are the years I do know :

F - 1953
G - 1954
H - 1955
J - 1956
K - 1957
L - 1958
M - 1959
P - 1960 (except Valiant)
Q - 1960 (Valiant only)
R - 1961
S - 1962
T - 1963
V - 1964

Chrysler used the same model numbers for 1951 and 1952 cars, and also for
their post-war 1946-48 models, so I suspect 1942 was "A".  And if you go
back using the letters used above (except Q) "A" would have been 1924-25,
the first year for Chrysler Corporation.  I put 1924 and 1925 together as
only the Chrysler Model B was sold in both years.

The letters L and M did appear on the vehicles VIN for those two years, 1958
and 1959, as well.    And starting in 1957 the letters were used to denote
the model year in engine and transmission numbers.

The letters from 1965 were :
A - 1965
B - 1966
C - 1967
D - 1968
E - 1969
F - 1970
G - 1971
H - 1972
J - 1973
K - 1974
L - 1975
M - 1976
P - 1977
R - 1978
S - 1979
T - 1980
V - 1981

By the way, these letters were also used in the VIN to identify the year on
cars built by Chrysler UK, Chrysler Australia and Chrysler France in the
1960's and early 1970's.   So they had corporate-wide use and meaning from
the mid-1960's.

Bill
Vancouver, BC