Re: [FWDLK] '57 Plymouth facts & Q's

Although your car may have been the 2,393rd V8 Plymouth off the LosAngeles
line, Plymouths were also built in Detroit (Lynch Road), Evansville, Indiana
and the former tank plant in Newark, Delaware.   Bodies for LA production
were shipped in the white from Detroit, I believe.  In the pre-unibody era
Chrysler had body plants in Detroit, Michigan, Evansville, Indiana and
Youngstown, Ohio.

Engines for all assembly plants were built at either Detroit or Trenton,
Michigan, and they all used the same engine numbers.  There were no special
prefixes for engines used in LA-built cars.

Thus your engine was  32,305th V8 engine built.   The previous 32,304
engines would have been shipped to the other Plymouth assembly plants.
"P31" was for the 301-cid V8, while the 277 was "LP31" and the Fury 318 was
"FP31".

Engine number "MP8-251021" is a 1959 engine, as the model year is "M".  1958
would have been "L".  It is the 250,021st 1959 V8 built.    The "P8" means
it is a Plymouth 318.   The 361 V8 used engine number prefix "ML361" in 1959
regardless of whether it was used in a Dodge, DeSoto or Plymouth.

Transmission part number "1638530" is a 1956 Powerflite used in
Canadian-built Plymouth and 115" wheelbase Dodge V8 models and
American-built Dodge Coronet V8 models.

Bill
Vancouver, BC