[FWDLK] '57 Plymouth facts & Q's

I need more help in putting together my '57 Plymouth Savoy 2 door club coupe (2 door post).  For those that don't remember my previous posting, it is a very early production '57, with the early lower grille (no vertical slats in the holes) and the '56 style steering wheel.  The cardboard inserts on the door panels were dated Aug 10, 1956.

I wrote down the engine number today, and it's P31-033305.  The P31 tells me it's an authentic '57 V8 (I'm pretty certain it's the engine this car came with new).  The VIN # is 26597393, so I know it's the 2,393rd V8 car made in the Los Angeles plant that year.  Even though the engine number is the lowest P31 engine number I can recall ever seeing, I wonder why it's so much higher than the VIN?

I have a '59 Savoy that was originally a stick shift that I was going to use the clutch, bellhousing, flywheel, etc off of to convert my '57's current Powerflite to stick w/ overdrive  (The actual O/D trans came off a different car).  Unfortunately, when we went underneath the '59 to start unbolting things, it became apparent that someone in the past had started to convert it to an automatic, complete with engine and transmission already loosely put in, but not set up, and with all the automatic parts (steering column, linkages, pedals) stashed in the trunk.  Now I don't know what drivetrain is resting in the '59.  The engine block number is MP8-251021 (I suspect '58 Plymouth?  350?), and the tranny has part number 1638530.  Can anyone tell me for certain what these are?

Finally, my original '57 V8 has power steering.  The steering column I found for the manual, OD trans does not have a power steering gearbox.  Obviously, to switch to the manual trans, I have to swap out steering columns.  Has anyone ever seen a '57 power steering/manual trans steering column?  It looks pretty much impossible to graft the power steering gearbox onto the manual steering column. . .can this be done?

Mark   mjh
'57 Savoy, '57 Fury, in green sunny Oregon, where spring has sprung and the old cars are out of hibernation!