[FWDLK] kickdown problem on '57 Tqf (related to runaway 2-3

[FWDLK] kickdown problem on '57 Tqf (related to runaway 2-3 upshift ?)

her's my second Torqueflite problem :
I never have a "forced kickdown downshift" since i rebuilt the Tqf (i don't know if the car kickdowned before as it was not running..)
The car downshifts well if i slow down but if i push the gas pedal to floor the car remains in 3.

I've tried to lenghten the throttle rod, result has been that trans. upshifts at higher speed. Now the 1-2 upshift occurs at 15-20 mph (with light throttle) and the 2-3 at 30-35 with light throttle. If i put heavier pressure on pedal the shifts occur at higher speeds (as 30 and 50 may be, i don't test often because the runaway 2-3 !!).

Note that if i uphift manually with buttons i've also the 2-3 runaway.

I've looked at various manuals about kickdown linkage. About "forcing kickdown" they say: "depressing the pedal past the detent "feel" near wide open throttle. What is this detent feel ? What must i "feel" ?  (The FSM talks about a kickdown detent plug on stem of kdwn valve which supplies the resistance necessary for a detent "feel".  but i don't know how works this plug which slides on the kdwn valve stem). Does this imply that i must feel then overcome a hard point at end of accelerator pedal travel ?
I've also read somewhere that "accelerator pedal must permit a transmission kickdown without compressing the floor mat" (if not adjust pedal-to-bell crank). Perhaps (even if i set up the pedal at 118°) my pedal doesn't permit to go in kickdown range ?

Surprisingly i've read on the IML page someone (Peter) who had the same problem than me !! (http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Transmission/kickdown.htm). Don't know if Peter has solved the problem  and how...

Thanks to all for the messages.

--

Philippe COURANT (Pau, France)- Webmaster des sites ACCF et C-I-F
Imperial 1957 Crown convertible

- American Car Club de France (ACCF) : http://www.accf.com

- Chrysler Imperial France (C-I-F) : http://www.ifrance.com/c-i-f

- Cadillac " Standard of Excellence " : http://www.ifrance.com/accf-cad