Sent: Monday, June 23, 2003 9:23 PM
Subject: [FWDLK] Fw: IML: Checking ownership

----- Original Message -----
From: ROGER MEISENBACH
Sent: Monday, June 23, 2003 2:48 PM
Subject: Re: IML: Checking ownership

BUYER'S BEWARE............Word of caution to anyone contemplating buying a car out of Canada.  They do have a process called Registration there, similar to our titles, providing for valid/certified transfer of ownership.  Just know that any Canadian joker/shyster can legally sell any vehicle with a simple Bill of Sale and the agreeable VIN, WITHOUT BEING THE CURRENT REGISTERED OWNER!!!
     Believe this is true in all the provinces.  Some transactions, especially at Used Car Dealerships, may go through multiple "sales" without Registration/Title change and the last registered owner being maybe years back in the car's history. And unobtainable for sign-off.  I understand the locals live through this by obtaining some kind of easy-to-get temporary license tag that does not require proof of ownership.  Sound absurd?  You bet.
     I speak from first-hand negative experience in an eBay deal where policy states rather quick deposit and final payoff (also, the eBay buyer protection plan, Safe Harbor, does not apply to deals outside the U.S.).  My "seller" delayed sending a copy of the current Registration/Title long enough to clear my Cashier's Check and then never provided it.  It was non-existent and he knew it.  But perfectly legal in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
     Without proper paperwork showing a valid transfer, you cannot get a car across U.S. customs...whether it was U.S. or Canadian built.  There's more to this story but this is enough for now.  Anybody else with crooked Canadian deals?  Who would think that any civilized system in the Western World would allow such a loop hole and opportunity for "legal" criminal misrepresentation.  I can only guess this system prevails because it provides attorneys a cash cow. Roger  K.C., MO