[FWDLK] '57 front brakes always ..

Hi all,
Last week end i made a 250 miles trip with other cars to an US car show
(i was the "manager" of this meeting..). All was fine except ... brakes
! I've always this dangerous problem on the Imperial: braking let me
feel "unsafe at any speed" ....
I resume:
- When cold (i.e after 1 night): the first braking are VERY hard, the
left front wheel locks immediatly if the speed is very low (under 5
mph). And as you expect the car goes on left ! If i let my left foot
lightly on the brake during 10 s, the problem disapears (because the
lining is now warm ?) but ..
- When warm or hot, the car remains unsafe because on strong braking it
goes to the ..right. I'm always very nervous at "3 digits speed" (hey
Hugh, at 3 digits kph.: 100 or 110 kph , never more !.) The braking
remains too hard, especially at low speed and i feel that the drums are
not perfectly round. At very low speed the braking  locks again the
front wheel(s) .
Seems that the drums must be (again) turn but why the braking is too
efficient ? Seems that either i've a light braking (with light pedal
pressure) or a "lock" braking with strong pedal pressure. I know that
the power assist system could be adjust at "bellow" rod but do you think
it's the solution.
Maybe also a lining problem: too soft so too efficient ? The brake parts
are as new (2 years old )
What do you think of old "NOS" or "NORS" lining and shoes, often seen on
ebay ? How are these linings (glued..) after 20 or 30 years ?

BTW, 2 pics of the '50s Mopars at this meeting: 300C convertible in
front of a church and my car in the morning:
http://www.ifrance.com/c-i-f/images2/cast_300c.jpg
http://www.ifrance.com/c-i-f/images2/cast_imp.jpg

--

Philippe COURANT (Pau, France)- Webmaster des sites ACCF et C-I-F
Imperial 1957 Crown convertible

- American Car Club de France (ACCF) : http://www.accf.com

- Chrysler Imperial France (C-I-F) : http://www.ifrance.com/c-i-f

- Cadillac " Standard of Excellence " : http://www.ifrance.com/accf-cad