Re: [FWDLK] Mostly Mopars

I have to agree and disagree at the same time, with Ron Waters.  My first "restored" car was actually a '64 Chev Impala 4 door hardtop, which I bought for $300 while a starving college student in the '80s.

I didn't really restore it, but put on an Earl Scheib paint job, new seat covers, and a fresh 327 to replace the 150,000 mile one, but I had a great time with it 'till it went bye-bye along with my uncle, who was killed when we were in an accident in Hoodsport, WA in 1989.

Of course, there was much grief over my uncle, but once I got past that, I realized I needed another old car to help me recover.  I found a '64 SS Impala to replace the earlier one.  A few months later, I stumbled across Mr. Finzzz, and became a Mopar man forever!  This '57 Fury was in an old man's backyard, along with 300 other old cars (including a '57 Sweptside), and two years later I was finally able to talk him out of it, and eight years after that I had a driveable car. . . so although my first car, like Ron's, was when I basically knew nothing, my first real restoration is still sitting in my garage, being adored every day.  I even got most of my left shoulder tattooed with Mr. Finzzz a few weeks ago!!!

> If us guys with all the cars had to tell the truth we would have to say we >were at our happiest when we worked on our first car...

I have to disagree with this.  I bought entirely the wrong car for my first project: a rusted out 59 Dodge 2dr sedan with a 6 cyl and no options.