From: Forward Look Mopar Discussion List
[mailto:L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Garrett
Sent: Monday, November 03, 2003 7:32 PM
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [FWDLK] The internet was no help, so I have a question...

As the title indicates, I spent quite a bit of time searching the internet
for decent opinions, but had trouble finding any.

So anyway...I'm going to be getting an air compressor as a birthday present
so I can stay up til all hours playing with air ratchets, but it's up to me
to figure out which one I want.  Sears has a really good deal on a Craftsman
30gal "6"hp compressor, however it's oil-free, and I've heard from more than
one source that an oiled compressor is a better way to go over an oil free.
The other compressor I'm looking at is a slightly smaller (21gal 4.5hp) but
is oil lubricated, they have it at Harbor Freight, but it's a brand I'm not
too familiar with (Central Pneumatic I think).  Either one should be
sufficient for what I need from an output perspective, but as seeing how the
craftsman is only a few dollars more than the other, I'm having trouble
passing it up.  Both would be similarly equipped as far as air tools and
accessories, so that isn't really a deciding factor.
My dad had a craftsman compressor for something like 40 years and it never
gave him any problems (sold it to a neighbor and it still works...it was, of
course, an oiled type compressor), but this is part of the reason I'm having
trouble passing up the Craftsman.

Anyone have any advice or insight (on oiled vs. oil-free or on anything in
general)?  Anyone have anything good or bad to say about either brand?
Since this is kind of off-topic (I'll be using it on cars, so maybe not that
far off topic), please respond privately as not to bombard everyone with
unwanted e-mail.

Thanks,
Garrett