Re: [FWDLK] Glass Houses

My 1950 Chevy "Deluxe" two door had laminated "safety" glass all around, except the back window (backlight) which appeared to be tempered glass. If you viewed the side glass edge-on when partially rolled down, you could see the seam where the two halves met. I also had to replace one, and broke it more than it already was as a test, and it had the plastic safety film in the middle. I seem to remember seeing a film "short" from the thirties regarding safety glass windshields, which as the story related, were created by a gentleman whose wife had her face badly scarred in an automobile accident, and so he set out to find a means of preventing such mishaps from occurring to others--and created the glass with a flexible "membrane" in between two layers of glass so that it wouldn't break into shards. My guess is that this practice soon carried over to all the glass in automobiles for the same safety reason.---Zach